Sicilian Rice Ball – A delicious deep fried recipe. The crunchy breadcrumb coating outside and cheese filling inside along with the tasty sauce make this recipe surely delightful.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (15 oz) Arborio rice
- 4 oz white grape juice
- approximately 30 oz chicken stock
- salt (as per your taste)
- 1 egg
- 4 oz mozzarella, cut into 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes
- Bolognese sauce (or use plain spaghetti sauce for vegetarians)
- cooked peas (optional)
- all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- tomato sauce (as per your taste)
- basil leaves, for garnish
Make the risotto by adding the rice to the heated oil in a large pan, and stirring quickly for one or two minutes. Quickly add the white grape juice while stirring. With the heat on medium high, begin adding the chicken stock a little at a time, and continuously stirring, until all the stock has been used and the rice is cooked, yet still firm.
Taste, add salt if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Add an egg to the risotto and mix well, then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
To make the arancini
- Place some rice in your hand and flatten it into your cupped hand, but don’t make it too thin, or the filling will ooze out.
- Place a piece of mozzarella, and/or a little tomato sauce (cooked peas optional) in the center of the cupped rice.
- Next, close the rice around the filling and shape into a ball.
- If you’d like to make conical shapes, flatten the bottom of the ball, and make the top more pointed.
- Now, roll the shaped arancini in flour.
- Then, roll them in the beaten egg.
- Finally, roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Set aside until all of the rice has been used.
Fry the Arancini
Heat some oil in a deep fryer or pot, wait until it is very hot.
Add the arancini, and cook quickly, turning often so they don’t brown too much on one side. If serving immediately, fry for a few minutes, so the cheese will melt in the center.
(If you’d like to serve them at a later time, remove them quickly after just browning; then, just before serving, place them on a baking sheet and re-heat in the oven at 400ºF for 5 to 10 minutes.)
Remove the excess oil by placing it on a paper towel.
Serve plain, or place on tray with a little tomato sauce and garnish with basil.
You can also serve them with a little extra sauce on the side.