Fresh tasting and packed with tasty flavors, this delicious easy recipe is definitely a must try.
- 5 large bell peppers (green, red, yellow or combination of colors)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1-pound shaved steak
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- salt and pepper, as for taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with foil, or nonstick cooking spray.
Steps to Make It
- Cut the top of the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the sliced onions and cook over medium heat, stir it frequently, until browned – about 15 minutes.
- If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, and cook the shaved steak, stirring, until evenly browned. Add the onion and pepper mixture back to the pan. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Line a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with foil, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill a large saucepan, oven, or deep sauté pan with enough salted water to cover the peppers (don’t add them yet). Bring the water to a boil, and then add the pepper halves. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes, or until just tender but not too soft.
- Carefully drain the peppers and arrange them in the prepared baking dish.
- Fill each pepper with the steak and onion mixture. Top each filled bell pepper with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the filling is hot. For a cheesier topping, add more cheese just before the peppers are done baking.